Shelling Out For a New Project {Wall Letters}

Hello everyone!

Last night, while watching some old Walking Dead episodes, I decided to continue my shell-crafting binge. I picked up one of these paper mache letters at our local JoAnn’s just the other day ($4.50 with a 40% off coupon). I still have lots of project ideas for my future beachy office, so I figured why not start another! What I didn’t realize is that my obsessive side would seek absolute perfection and not allow any paper mache to show under the shells. This project took me about two Walking Dead episodes, which means it took about two hours total.

 

First, start with your empty letter.

So this is how it started. Seems easy enough, very straight forward.

So this is how it started. Seems easy enough, very straight forward.

 

Then, put out all the shells you intend to use. It’s easiest to sort them by size or shape, helps keep it organized. This way, when you have a space to fill, you can just quickly pick a larger or smaller shell to use.

 

Here are just a few of the shells I used. I set them out first, then started organizing.

Here are just a few of the shells I used. I set them out first, then started organizing.

 

Once you’re all organized and ready to go, heat up that glue gun and get to work! This is probably the hardest and most tedious part. I wanted to make sure that my letter wasn’t just adequately covered, but completely covered (except for the back so that I had a flat surface to mount it to a wall). I used a TON of hot glue. I mean really, I used a TON. This letter ended up being pretty hefty with the weight of the shells and the weight of the glue. I didn’t want any shells to fall off, so I used both glue on the shell directly and for some shells that were larger, I glued around the sides once it was already placed. And, after a couple hours and many zombies, I had a finished F.

 

There's a joke in there somewhere, I'm just not sure where.

There’s a joke in there somewhere, I’m just not sure where.

 

I’m going to leave it natural for now, but I may decide to spray it all one color for uniformity. We’ll see, I’m still not sure! Next up, a summer wreath with….you guessed it…shells!

 

XOXO,

Ashley

 

PS- Because of the coupon, and the fact that I already had the shells and the glue, this project cost me under $3. Total score.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s